As we embark on 2024, it's time to go beyond resolutions – let's make a REAL difference together! At Goods for Good, we're rolling up our sleeves, ready to make this a year of positive change, compassion, and kindness. And, thanks the the immense support from the Aviva Community Fund; who've pledged to DOUBLE our impact until the 14th of January, every effort, every donation, and every act of kindness will have TWICE the impact!
Give a Gift For Good
Rising energy prices, skyrocketing food costs, and a challenging economic climate – circumstances that have left thousands across the UK having to make impossible decisions - do they heat their homes or feed their families? These are decisions NO ONE should have to make. Let's make a meaningful start to the year by giving a gift that matters.
For the last few months the team at Good For Good has been preparing winter packs for thousands of families in the UK to help them navigate the winter. Our winter packs provide tangible gifts – ranging from clothes and blankets and other basic necessities to books, games, and art supplies. But beyond that, what we deliver provides intangible gifts such as dignity, security and confidence.
For the 3.8 million people living in extreme poverty in the UK, there’s no central heating, no thick blankets and no cosy home to settle into as temperatures start to fall.
Join Our Winter Appeal - The Twelve Gifts of Kindness
Our #TwelveGiftsOfKindness Winter Appeal is born out of our commitment to making a meaningful impact on vulnerable communities, and sets out to address both the immediate material needs and the deeper emotional aspects of individuals and families facing the challenges of winter. It's an opportunity to make a lasting impact on the lives of those struggling during the winter months. These gifts aim to address not only the immediate material needs of vulnerable communities but also the deeper, emotional aspects that contribute to their overall well-being and resilience.
- Dignity: Many of the people we support have fled their homes with little more than the clothes on their backs. Providing clean, well-fitting clothing offers them dignity and the opportunity to express their identity. It helps them regain their sense of self-worth.
- Empowerment: Adequate clothing allows our recipients to participate in daily activities and engage with others without feeling self-conscious or exposed. This empowerment is crucial for healing and rebuilding their lives.
- Comfort: Proper clothing provides warmth, comfort, and protection against the elements. It gives the families we support a sense of security and stability during a time of transition.
- Security: Material essentials contribute to a tangible sense of security. A warm coat in winter or a secure place to rest provides physical safety, fostering a feeling of stability and protection.
- Rest and Recovery: From people who have been affected by modern slavery and human trafficking, to those who are homeless or insecurely housed, the people we support often need a safe and comfortable space to rest and recover. Bedding provides this essential refuge, supporting their mental and physical well-being.
- Health: Toiletries, such as soap, toothpaste, and personal grooming items, are essential for maintaining cleanliness and overall well-being. They help the people we support stay healthy and regain control over their bodies.
- Confidence: Personal hygiene supports mental health and self-esteem. Feeling clean and refreshed boosts confidence and contributes to their emotional recovery.
- Inclusivity: Access to hygiene essentials ensures that children and adults can participate in daily life, employment opportunities, and community activities without fear of stigmatisation.
- Friendship: Meeting basic needs establishes a foundation of trust. When individuals see consistent support from the community, they are more likely to trust and engage with local services. This engagement fosters a sense of interconnectedness, promoting social cohesion as individuals come together.
- Peace of mind: The provision of essentials alleviates anxiety and uncertainty about where the next meal will come from, how to stay warm, or maintain personal hygiene. This reduction in anxiety is transformative, enabling individuals to redirect their mental and emotional energy towards other aspects of their lives.
- Well-being: The psychological impact of having one's basic needs met is profound. It contributes to a positive mindset, reduces stress, and fosters a sense of control over one's life, all of which are essential components of overall mental well-being.
- Hope: Our work provides hope by addressing the multifaceted needs of vulnerable individuals, instilling a sense of dignity, empowerment, and community support. Through tangible assistance and a commitment to positive change, Goods For Good contributes to a brighter and more hopeful future for those facing overwhelming circumstances.
How it works
The elderly, young children, and low-income families are hit the hardest. For these communities, the realities of hardship include:
- Cold Homes: Many cannot afford to heat their homes adequately, leading to cold and uncomfortable living conditions.
- Food Scarcity: The choice between heating and eating is a painful one. Some must go without adequate food to keep warm.
- Clothing Shortages: Warm clothing for adults and children becomes a luxury, as the cost of heating often takes precedence.
- Health Risks: Vulnerable individuals, especially the elderly and the very young, are at greater risk of health issues due to prolonged exposure to the cold.
These thoughtful gifts will make a difference in the lives of those who are struggling, and bring meaningful moments during times of difficulty. Your generosity not only helps us provide everyday essentials like nappies, period products, toiletries, warm coats, and clothing but also contributes to these invaluable gifts for those who need it most, providing comfort, hope, and a renewed sense of purpose.
- Donate - a modest contribution of £10, you can provide a 'Gift For Good' containing essential items like blankets, bedding, and crucial clothing and footwear. Two boxes alone are enough to support one parent and three children family.
- Double your donation - Thanks to Aviva’s Community Fund, every donation you make throughout December will be DOUBLED, allowing us to make an even greater impact.
- Spread the word - get your friends and family involved and don't forget to mention the hashtag #TwelveGiftsOfKindness on social media
Start 2024 with meaningful impact. Join Goods For Good in spreading warmth, comfort, and kindness to vulnerable communities.